Quality Assurance (QA) Engineer
Do you want to help test and check the quality of software that helps scientists, doctors, historians, and all other kinds of researchers discover breakthroughs? Join our small, fully-remote development team to help with the QA process for our software that connects scholars of all disciplines with the peer-reviewed journal articles they need to advance their research.
Since our remote-first company's founding in 2011, Third Iron has created the industry-leading software services BrowZine and LibKey. Our users include millions of students, doctors, industry researchers, and scientists affiliated with over 1,300 libraries at universities, hospitals, corporations, and government departments across 36 countries including places like Stanford University, NASA, Mayo Clinic, NHS England, and University of Hong Kong.
In a refreshing change from advertising-dependent tech companies or those who sell user data, we instead have a business-to-business model. We sell our subscription-based services to libraries that may be used by anyone affiliated with them. We do not sell user data. Our focus is on building the best software to enable research that changes the world.
As a Quality Assurance (QA) Engineer, you will help with all aspects of the testing lifecycle: initial architectural approaches, writing and running manual test scripts, running exploratory tests, and collaborating with your experienced teammates. Our product owners have a deep understanding of both our external and internal customers needs and wants, which helps ensure what we build has maximum positive impact to our users.
Our remote-first company has been building software for over 11 years fully distributed, so you’ll be joining a team with plenty of experience putting into practice what works well remotely (and avoiding what doesn’t!). We try to build our products with an eye on the long term, since when we build new features or products, we typically regularly maintain them years into the future.
- Ensure our software for researchers and librarians has a high quality user experience through manual, exploratory testing of our web app clients, BrowZine and LibKey, our browser extension LibKey Nomad, and our native BrowZine iOS and BrowZine Android clients
- Check our internal-facing software to ensure it functions smoothly, efficiently, and covers the important use cases for Third Iron's operational teammates
- Help investigate bugs reported by users, both internal and external to Third Iron
- Increase your testing experience and breadth with various tools we use, from as simple as Google Sheets to more complicated systems like Kibana and automated load testing. Learn about all the tools we use at our StackShare
What We’re Looking For
- An interest in testing and ensuring software keeps a high standard of quality
- Strong communication skills – since we are a remote team, clear, timely, and frequent communication is essential
- Experience writing tests, either automated or manual
- Self-motivation and comfort working independently, which we've found is important for remote working
- Interest in lifelong learning, including learning new technologies. We embrace the tools and techniques that help us build great software which lets us sleep soundly at night, with high confidence that our users are having a delightful experience and our servers are not catching fire
- People with U.S. work authorizations. (We are looking for a full-time QA engineer to join our team, so please, no companies looking to hire out contractors - we're interested in talking directly to QA engineers)
Working at Third Iron
Third Iron is a small company of 25 employees and our growth and success have been fueled by the passionate, curious people who work here. We value input and feedback while looking to minimize the interruptions of meetings, report writing, and internal emails.
Understanding that work is just part of your life, Third Iron also provides benefits including health, dental, long-term disability, paid time-off, home-office stipend, and more. It's why most employees who work at Third Iron spend many years of their careers here. You could, too!
To apply, simply fill out the job application, and please include anything that helps demonstrate how you are an effective software developer teammate. Examples include your GitHub, Bitbucket, or StackOverflow profile, or some sample code, articles, or presentations you’ve created, or even just reporting bugs on open source projects. We're looking for something to help us learn how you contribute to a team.